Disclosure

This blog contains affiliate links, read my full disclosure here.

Obedience to God in the Smallest Circumstances

Obedience to God in the Smallest Circumstance

February 19, 2019

Is every command God gives equally important? Obedience to God suggests a commitment to his authority, but some commands go unnoticed in my life when I read scripture. Is his command not to gossip equal to his command not to kill?

I started studying Mark chapter 1 this morning. I love reading the Gospels, in fact, I’ve felt convicted over the last couple of years that I need to study them at least every year. Mark is my first gospel this year as a part of my yearly Bible study goals. I love this book!

From the first chapter I get the sense that exciting and action packed things are happening. Mark uses the word ‘immediately’ nine times in the first chapter alone. It gives me a sense of urgency in Jesus’ actions. There is no time for him to waste in his three short years of ministry!

Jesus’ Immediate Purpose

Verse 38 drew my attention in this chapter. Jesus is ready to go and preach, it’s why he is on the move. He specifically intends to go to the towns to preach his word. As he is getting started however, he meets a leper, and when he sees the man’s condition, is moved to pity him. Though his first purpose is to preach, he realizes that for this man, there is a physical barrier to hearing his word; his leprosy. Jesus heals him and sends him to be approved as clean by the priest.

Jesus can see the big picture here. He gives the man some very specific instructions; to tell only the priest what has happened to him. Jesus has bigger things on his plate, than just the healing of one man. He is concerned with reaching the entire area of towns with the gospel. Its so beautiful that he takes the time to minister to the leper. He cares specifically that this man has the chance to hear God’s message in a personal way.

Obedience to God in the Smallest Circumstance

A Small Disobedience

I cannot imagine facing a lifetime of separation from friends and  family because of an illness. That is likely this man’s situation. As a leper he was considered unclean, he would have had to live outside of town. Anytime he came near anyone he had to call out “unclean” so that they could keep their distance. Jesus fixed everything. He restored this man’s life.

The instruction Jesus left him with was simple and clear. He was to tell no one but the priest. In his understandable excitement, the former leper went and told anyone who would listen what Jesus had done. It’s tempting to believe that it didn’t matter. After all, how could it be bad to tell people about Jesus?

The Heartbreaking Consequence of Disobedience

Look at the last verse of the chapter. As a direct result of the leper’s disobedience, Jesus could no longer enter any towns to preach. This was his expressed desire in verse 38. Jesus’ ministry wasn’t destroyed. The chapter says that people came from all around to hear him speak. However, it did radically change his ministry. The casual intimacy of having the chance to enter people’s houses to minister to them was removed. He was restricted to the ‘desolate places’ when that was not his intention.

It is also tempting to think that this disobedience did not matter since Jesus was still able to minister to the crowds. My pride often tells me that since God is at work, my actions must be okay. What is really happening though, is that God has bigger plans than just me. My disobedience may not stop his will from happening, but it separates me from the joy of being used to complete it.

I, like the leper am focused on what I see and what I want. The leper didn’t hear him say that the reason he came to Galilee was to reach all the towns. I don’t know the behind the scenes workings of God, but he can use me in them…if I obey.

1 Samuel Prayer journal

This is an exciting week! I have been working for a while on a prayer guide for the book of 1 Samuel, and I will be releasing it this Friday! It is a printable prayer journal which includes a scripture reading for each day and a devotion to go with it. In 31 days you will read and pray through the book of 1 Samuel, and journal each day.

UPDATE: You can find the Prayer Guide for 1 Samuel in my shop here!

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

16 Comments

• Laurie

I believe God wants us to be obedient not for His sake, but for OUR sake. If we sin, we are elevating the sin in our minds, rather than elevating God. Looking at the big picture is important.

February 19, 2019 at 4:44 pm Reply
    • danellsteffen

yes- the Bible is so clear that he doesn’t NEED us but rather wants us to take part in his plan!

February 19, 2019 at 4:46 pm Reply
  • Carolina Frederick

I always tell my boys “Obedience brings blessing”, It is God’s will for us to be blessed, that’s why He wants us to be obedient. Great Word, thanks for sharing!

February 19, 2019 at 5:22 pm Reply
    • danellsteffen

I love that- I might have to steal it for my kids!

February 19, 2019 at 6:17 pm Reply
  • Patsy Burnette

The behind the scenes workings of God are so mysterious. We just have to trust and obey. Great post! Scheduled on Tailwind. Thanks for linking up at InstaEncouragements!

February 20, 2019 at 12:36 am Reply
    • danellsteffen

Thanks! I can’t wait until heaven when we can maybe see these behind the scenes mysteries, how exciting!

February 21, 2019 at 4:39 pm Reply
  • Jana

What an insightful post, Danell. Belief in the sovereignty of God to accomplish His will can lead us to complacency. But our faith in Him should cause us to want to obey and to act in accordance with His will out of delight instead of duty.

February 20, 2019 at 5:20 pm Reply
    • danellsteffen

Thank you, and when I see the results it’s so much easier to obey with delight, I do struggle when, like the leper I’m not seeing where his will is heading.

February 21, 2019 at 4:38 pm Reply
  • Elaine

I have long thought that, if we are not obedient in the small stuff, God can’t give us bigger stuff. I hadn’t thought of other consequences of our sin. Satan does try to box us in to wreck our witness. Thank you for the insight.

February 20, 2019 at 5:29 pm Reply
    • danellsteffen

So true- that make me think of the parable of the talents, and I wonder if God lets us have small chances to obey before putting the bigger things in our path.

February 21, 2019 at 4:36 pm Reply
  • Traci

You’ve adequately described the book of Mark: “From the first chapter I get the sense that exciting and action packed things are happening. Mark uses the word ‘immediately’ nine times in the first chapter alone.” So fast-paced and I love, love facts like the one you pointed out about using the word immediately nine times. Thank you for offering such depth in your online Bible study writings. What a ministry!

February 20, 2019 at 5:42 pm Reply
    • danellsteffen

Thanks Traci- your words made my heart feel good!

February 21, 2019 at 4:35 pm Reply
  • April

So very true that that we need to be seeking to obey in all areas! I think it’s something we can tend to overlook obedience in small things! I actually just a couple days ago started asking in my prayer time for God to show me any area that I was not being obedient. So this confirms that I need to keep praying this way!

February 20, 2019 at 11:33 pm Reply
    • danellsteffen

Yes- that’s a great prayer that I often pray, thank you!

February 21, 2019 at 4:34 pm Reply
  • Donna Reidland

I, too, as reading through the book of Mark right now so I really enjoyed your thoughts on this chapter. I especially loved this statement, “My disobedience may not stop his will from happening, but it separates me from the joy of being used to complete it.” What a powerful truth!

February 23, 2019 at 3:21 pm Reply
    • danellsteffen

Thanks Donna- I’m so glad it resonated with you.

February 24, 2019 at 9:17 pm Reply