Disclosure

This blog contains affiliate links, read my full disclosure here.

When You Don't Have Time for Bible Study.

When You Don’t Have Time for Bible Study.

July 23, 2019

For most moms the single most valuable thing we have is our time. Time for Bible study falls by the wayside because we simply have so many things crammed in our day. However, for me, the days I don’t have time for Bible study are not because I didn’t have any time. They happen because I didn’t prioritize my time well enough.

The things that fill my day are the things I allowed to take priority in my life. Some of these things are really great things, like spending time with my family. Some of these things are not as awesome (Netflix anyone?) So today I want to take a look at what it really means to make time for Bible study. Want to find out more about where to begin with Bible study? Try this post.

What are your priorities?

It might be helpful to take a minute right now, to make two lists. The first one is a list of what you feel your top five priorities should be. The second list is what you feel your top five priorities are.

So to make my first list, I think through what is important to me. My marriage, my kids, homeschooling my kids are some that first pop into my head. Another is my health, and of course I want my relationship with God to be my top priority.

For my second list I think through my actual day. If I had to name my priorities based on the way I spend my time, what would those be? So this isn’t meant to make you feel bad. No one really has laundry as a major desire in their life. If you do, please come do some of mine! However, running your house probably takes up a significant amount of your time! This shows you where you are spending your time and where your priorities are lived out right now.

Where is your time spent now?

The purpose of making these lists, is for you to see where your time is being spent. You can now take apart your day to look for time holes or time wasters. These are imposters. They are things that take up your time, but are not one of your priorities. The time wasters I hate the most are things that cause me to lose time while it seems no time has passed. The biggest one for me is television. I can sit and watch three episodes of my favorite show in a row and it feels like I barely just sat down. No thank you!

If one of your items is watching tv in the evenings, you could likely skip a show in order to make time for a quiet time. If one of your main stressors in the day is the morning scramble to get the kids out the door to school, you could spend a few minutes at night to get things ready for the next day. With a less hectic morning you could sit down to start your day with God. Look for ways you can use your time better in order to get more out of it!

When You Don't Have Time for Bible Study.

Can you get creative?

Do you have time blocks during the day that you aren’t taking advantage of? Listen to an audio Bible on your drive to work, or while you exercise. Write a verse on a notecard and always keep it in your pocket to learn while you wait in line, during your break at work. Think outside the box and you will probably find tons of small moments in your day that you could be using better.

Will you follow through?

It takes effort to make God a priority. You won’t just find that you accidently made time for Bible study without any thought about how. Today, do one thing to make time for God. Even if that means that you only make five minutes. Use those minutes to ask God to help you make this a priority in your life. Then read Mark 1. I say read Mark 1 because then you don’t have to think about where to begin reading, so you won’t waste any time trying to decide. Also, I think it’s a great idea to begin in a gospel. It brings you back to the reason you are a Christian; because Jesus died for your sins.

I would love to hear what your one thing is today! How are you going to make time for Bible study? If you have already made time for Bible study, but you aren’t really sure how to study the Bible, check out my course on how to study the Bible here.

Previous Post Next Post

16 Comments

• Patsy Burnette

Accountability is the #1 thing that makes me get my priorities in order and make time for the important things, like studying and meditating on God’s Word and prayer.

Great post Danell! Pinned.

Thanks for linking up at InstaEncouragements!

July 23, 2019 at 10:41 pm Reply
    • danellsteffen

Thanks Patsy-I need accountability too, or I am useless!

July 23, 2019 at 11:18 pm Reply
  • Stacy Zant

Thank you for sharing this reminder on how we can prioritize and time block to make Bible Study a priority. I plan to continue rising early for study and taking the time while I eat and have lunch for more study in God’s Word.

July 24, 2019 at 4:41 pm Reply
    • danellsteffen

That’s awesome, I feel like tying Bible study to certain times of the day or activities is such a great reminder!

July 24, 2019 at 5:00 pm Reply
  • Jana

For me, the best way to guarantee that I’ll spend time in God’s Word is by doing it first thing. I’ve tried other times because mornings are sometimes really hard for me, but if I get too far into my day, other things take over.

However, in recent weeks, on the occasional morning when it just doesn’t happen, I’ve chosen to use my usual evening reading/relaxing time to do my Bible study, and I’ve found it to be a great way to end the day, as well! But it requires intention and discipline and sacrifice. I must admit, I usually don’t “feel” like it in the moment, but I never regret making that choice!

July 24, 2019 at 6:34 pm Reply
    • danellsteffen

I feel like God really blesses the times I go out of my way to include it in my day even at a time I don’t normally study. It’s always so worth it.

July 25, 2019 at 4:41 pm Reply
  • Angie

This is great, I just shared it in my Bible study group 🙂 Thanks!

July 24, 2019 at 8:07 pm Reply
    • danellsteffen

Thanks Angie!

July 25, 2019 at 4:41 pm Reply
  • Alexa

Thank you for sharing this insight! Prioritizing and being consistent are definitely two things that I’m working on!

July 24, 2019 at 8:10 pm Reply
    • danellsteffen

Yes- it’s a life long process for sure!

July 25, 2019 at 4:42 pm Reply
  • Erin @ LullabyLark.com

This is so true! I am a stay-at-home mom to two silly, sweet little boys. My days can feel full and crazy, but if I’m honest, the days when I “don’t have time” to study the Bible, it is simply because I didn’t prioritize the time I DID have. Thanks for that reminder.

July 25, 2019 at 8:36 pm Reply
    • danellsteffen

It’s so hard to be focused when you have littles around! I’ve been there, but it’s possible!

July 25, 2019 at 9:16 pm Reply
  • Christa

I recently had to re-evaluate my morning and evening routines so I could be more consistent in my daily Bible reading time. It helped to get really specific!

July 25, 2019 at 10:29 pm Reply
    • danellsteffen

Yes- I have even found some unrelated things that help- like I will be more awake and get more out of it if I have walked for ten minutes first.

July 26, 2019 at 4:42 pm Reply
  • Jennifer

Time…the hardest thing to come by! This is a great post and I have bookmarked it so I can remind myself to make my Bible time a priority! Great post!

July 26, 2019 at 2:55 pm Reply
    • danellsteffen

Thanks Jennifer- I’m so glad it was helpful.

July 26, 2019 at 4:41 pm Reply